A recap of my day

My husbands off out, to finally have the long waited night out “to wet the baby’s head”, (she is nearly 6 months old) my little mischief makers are all bathed and tucked up in bed for the night.

So I sit here in my candle lit living room and I let my bottle of red wine breath before I pour myself a much deserved glass. I think back over my day and what I have done to deserve it.

My morning started like any other normal day! My body ached and my groggy mind tried to think over the days events. As I drag my protesting body upright and out of bed to be greeted by a massive smile, beaming at me from the crib and a “mummy” from the room next door.
I stretch my semi awake body as I plod to the bathroom and the door to the third bedroom opens and there is T reading on his bed while P stands at the door asking “what’s for breakfast?” (because the most important thing to my boy is food)

After explaining to the boys they need to get their uniforms on as grandma is coming to take them to breakfast club. I bring my girls down stairs and click the kettle on. It groans to life and E is round my feet attempting to help me make our breakfast. (if you call swinging my on my legs and pulling out cereal boxes helping!)

After the boys have gone to school and I have the girls fed an dressed. We get ready for play group at 9.30. I look at the clock and it’s 9.15 and I’m not dressed, my jeans are still wet and my hair looks like something a bird would nest in. Luckily my amazing mum walks through door.

Grandma to the rescue!

I rush round getting dress and doing my hair and some how manage to make myself look something slightly past reasonable. By 9.25 my mum has the girls in the car and I grab my key, switch on the alarm, lock my door and away we go.

Play group was an amazing and we finished the girls Mother’s Day presents for me.

The flower pots decorated by E with daffodil blubs planted

and the paper flowers made by me and a sure start worker, scrunched by E and Ivy.

After all the fun of arts an crafts plus free play, snack time was a welcome distraction. That was when I beamed with pride as E said “more”, “thank you” and “biscuit” with makaton signing, showing everyone how clever she is.

One of the mums asked me where she had learnt it and why? I explained we had done a course at our local sure start centre (where play group was being held) because I had read and heard that children with Down syndrome learn language better with sign language/makaton.

Once play group is over my mum and I bundle the girls into the car and headed towards Morrisons, so we could do the food shopping. My mum pushed an asleep Ivy round in her car seat inside a little trolly while I took E.

All the way round I interacted with E as she again attempted to help (yet hindered) me shop. After 15 minutes of this I finally gave in and agreed to buy her a in the night garden activity book as a bribe for her good behaviour. She started to behave! We started playing peekaboo as she hid behind the book and called out “boo” when she lowered it. I had many people turning and staring as we noisily walked past, playing our game. Not really caring because at least my child was happy and having fun.

We finished our shopping and went home were I fed Ivy and got on with my usual household chores. I waited for 2pm to hurry up because that’s when I knew Andy finished work and shortly after I would finally be able to have 5 minutes peace to go to loo or just relax and have a brew that was actually warm enough to finish.

As Soon as he walked through door I realise his day had been as tasking as mine. He goes to pick up the boys, who go to grandmas for a pre promised tea. It’s just daddy, E, Ivy an I to cook for and Luckily I had already picked up a pre packed pasta salad while shopping.

A little while later grandma rang to ask if T would be able to sleep at his aunt’s house (yes that’s once less to get to bed tonight).

I know that may sound unmotherly but after weeks of arguing or bickering on a weekend one extra day of calm is very much welcome. Special after the pre 6am wake ups all week due to the sun rise getting earlier. P came home while T went to his aunts. By which point it was 6pm and dinner was over and bath time approached.

I washed E’s hair while daddy undressed Ivy and then we switched over in the bath. He bathed E while I bathed Ivy. (he is still scared because she is too small for him to bath her) P jumped in the bath not bothering it’s the same water as the girls and before we have chance to change it. So we decide to just leave him to get clean. While dried an dressed Ivy, Andy dresses E and reads her a bedtime story. The he starts preparing for his first night out since I was pregnant.

It’s not that I ever stopped him from going out (except at end of pregnancy) it just that after Ivy was born and all the complications that came up and the fact that he was the main carer for all the kids. Meant that wetting the baby’s head became a side note. Then Christmas came along an then our anniversary. So it never seemed the right time or he wouldn’t have the weekend off.

I’m honestly glad he went out tonight though because he needs to blow off steam.

Once the girls were in bed it was clean sailing from there. Andy set me a bath off while P watched his scooby doo on TV and I enjoyed my relaxing soak.
By the time I got out P was in bed and I had nothing to do but chill, light some candles an pour my wine.

I know to some this doesn’t seem like a lot and know I have had harder days. But after a week of serious sleep deprivation, dropping a nap for E from rotation and Ivy being ill. I think today was a Major mummy win. now I’m going to enjoy my wine while my babies sleep an wait for my loving husband to come home x

Nikki ❤

3 thoughts on “A recap of my day

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s