As a child I was, what can only be described as a “demon child”. I was one of those spoilt little brats that would scream the store down and throw all out hissy fits in very public places. My mum would try to be strong and would try to ignore or calm me down, but I was a very strong willed and stubborn child. (Must be because I’m a Taurus!)
That being the case I always remember certain phrases my mum would say to me that would make matters even worse or that annoyed me and made me scream loud.
When I became a mother I swore I wasn’t going to ever say such phrases, I was going to understand my child, our life would be great and I would be one of those easy going, cool mums that had a amazing untreatable bond with their child that was built out of respect. (You can stop laughing now)
Yes I was a kidding myself. I was living in a dream world and I didn’t know what being a real mum entailed. In my defence though, I was only a 16 when I fell pregnant with T.
And even though I swore blind I would never say these phrases to my kids. As they grow older I hear myself saying them and I’m slowly turning into my parents!
So here you go the 10 phrases I swore I wouldn’t say to my kids (but actually do!):
1) “Because I said so!”
2) “You make a better door then a window.”
3) “Just give me a 1 second.” (I say this a lot)
4) “If I had said that when I was a kid I would have got a ……….!”
5) “Thats life!”
7) “Your too young to understand, your just a kid.”
8) “Money doesn’t grow on trees.”
9) “When you move out I’m going to come and jump all over your sofas and see how you like it”
And the last but not least
10) “When you have kids I hope they give you just as much grief as your giving me.”
Do you ever say any of these? Is there anything you swore you were never going to say to your kids? Do you find yourself saying it anyway?